Friday, July 10, 2009

Bat outta . . . the UK?

I'm looking forward to reading "Go Like Hell". It's surprising that this book hasn't already been written. It's such a great story (big personalities, business grudges, crazy Italians, maniacal Americans and of course lots of horsepower).

I was privileged to see one of the original Ford G40s at the terrific Blackhawk museum . It was even more beatiful in person than it had been in my mind. As a boy, I was spellbound by the car's feminine lines and absolutley perfect-for-the-times color scheme (Gulf & Western orange and blue). Later I came to appreciate the power and toughness of the car, which really exceeded its beauty. This car is a grossly under-recongnized icon of the mid-sixties.

There is a pretty inticing review of the book in the WSJ. I'm surprised there was not a bit more reverence for the car itself in the review, but maybe that's in the book. Also, the review notes Carroll Shelby's involvement in the project. I guess I was unaware that he had much to do with it; not surprising that he did - I just didn't know about it.

I'll know more when I read it, but it would seem too that it would be worth exploring the Ford G40 an early example of a "world car" (American horsepower, British chasis, Italian styling, and New Zealand drivers)

No comments:

Post a Comment